The Decemberists (website research)

The Decemberists are a rock band from Portland, Oregon, United States, fronted by singer/songwriter Colin Meloy.

There website is very impressive, it features simple and effective use of Flash, there is everything you would need to know and more, as well as 'sign up' for e-mail updates, audio player, videos, shop, message board and links to all social networking sites. The heading appears gradually as if someone is drawing it as the page initially loads, a nice touch and not too cheesy.





The website utilizes two columns on almost every page with a main feature in the central column and extras or sub headings down the right column.


Pop up menus function well for 'e-mail sign ups' and other information that will only need to be seen momentarily.


When discussing my initial ideas with the client we spoke about the possibilities of including an audio player on every page, I'm still not sure on the technicalities but I sure I will be able to make it work. I like this media player as it is optional and a lot of people already have audio or video playing whilst browsing the internet.


Extra things to consider: Wallpaper and anything else free. Generally a good way of promoting and getting audiences to revisit the site.