Sustainable Print Methods

After asking the tutors in screen print I began searching for examples of techniques and prints in order to decided which ones to fully investigate. I have found a few examples for each of my ideas, some of them are quite obvious but I think there should be one or two interesting and surprising processes.

Emboss/Deboss




Paper Cut/Die Cut/Laser Cut




Devore
Devore is an interesting process, the design is screen printed using a special binder which eats away at man made fibres. Which means that all of the materials used must be a combination of natural and man made fibres. The design is printed, dried and then ironed until the binder turns entirely 'biscuit' brown. Then the print is washed in water and left to dry once again. The result can look very subtle and beautiful but is usually associated with textiles. I am investigating a range of mark making and displaying methods to some extent and I think that devore falls under this category. I plan to use white cotton mixed with man made fibres for my design.



Hapa Zome
This process is very unusual in the graphics world as it is quite a tedious process in some cases, however it does create a fantastic effect. The process is basically collecting flowers, leaves and other foliage, placing them under what you wish to print onto and then repeatedly hit the top with a mallet forcing the natural colours in the plant to be released into the paper/material.

It's a bit experimental but I am going to try this process through a stencil to simply extract the colour from the plants rather than creating a duplicate image.



Laser Cut